I've seen the gif of this about a million times now, but didn't think anything was wrong, except that the angle of...

I've seen the gif of this about a million times now, but didn't think anything was wrong, except that the angle of the solar system seemed way to high compared to the galactic plane. The guy who made it is apparently a woo. 

Beware pretty gifs disguised as real science.

Originally shared by Matt Uebel

Here's a video of the GIF that is floating around, which seems to be contributing to #milkyway  trending today. It comes from this psuedoscientific guy that thinks Saturn is within the orbit of Jupiter, and that drinking 4 glasses of water in the morning can cure cancer. 0_o

As someone commented on the video:

"Videos like these are created by the scientifically under-informed, and accepted and defended vehemently by the scientifically illiterate.

The ecliptic plane is tilted ~60 degrees relative to the Galactic plane. The solar system would look more like a Frisbee tilted at a ~60 degree angle. Saturn and Jupiter mixed up in both of his videos, and don't even get me started on the depiction of the planets lagging behind the Sun. Videos like this make me die a little inside." 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHsq36_NTU

Comments

  1. I thought the GIF was interesting because we're always presented the solar system as having planets in orbit around the sun, but the sun is represented as stationary. It was interesting to consider it moving through space while all the other orbits did their dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does get marks for that. That's obviously the neat part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, ugh!

    9/11 truther and chemtrail stuff on his website!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's a really good income distribution visualization site that uses stacks of $100 bills on a football field with US median income on the 50 yard line. the height of the stacks shoots up dramatically near the far goal line. it's a clever metaphor that people can grasp easily. but same thing there, cross links to some rather out there conspiracy theory stuff.

    http://www.lcurve.org/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lex Larson, not only is everything flying through space as it orbits, the Sun actually orbits the "center" point of our solar system as well! We don't really pay attention because the radius of the Sun is greater than the radius of the orbit, therefore the central axis is always SOMEWHERE inside the Sun, just not necessarily at the CENTER of the Sun.

    The Sun is way more mobile than we give it credit for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dylan Boates sigh.

    YES I KNOW.  My point was the depiction and characterization of how the solar system is situated is typically with the sun at a completely static position.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry if I offended you. I was attempting to agree and expand on your point not heckle you or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dylan Boates Your enthusiasm to expand on my point comes across as condescending lecturing.  And word to the wise: don't apologize "if" you offended someone. That's not really an apology.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't sure that I had offended you. I didn't mean to sound condescending or lecturing.

    I apologize for the poor communication.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Your Beat 'em Ups! Give them to me!

Rating the Marvel villains so far on a scale from Excelsior (good), to No-Prize (could be explained that they’re...