I'm a recovering perfectionist who writes software development requirements. There is always some nuance or condition that I could spend time researching, interviewing users, holding meetings, and validating against industry practices. However: the fruits of such labor would serve no one if they are never complete.
I began to regard requirements as less science, and more art: you will never finish any given piece, you simply stop working on it. Then your work can get on with the business of being useful or entertaining to its audience. Because "Done" is better than "Perfect."
Yep, all I'm doing is moving words around. At this point I'm not changing any mechanics or anything. I should password protect the document by closing my eyes and slapping the keyboard.
Rating the Marvel villains so far on a scale from Excelsior (good), to No-Prize (could be explained that they’re either good or bad), to Bullpen Floor (bad): Iron Monger: Excelsior Abomination: No-Prize Loki: Excelsior Red Skull: Excelsior Whiplash: Bullpen Floor Justin Hammer: Excelsior Loki again: Excelsior Mandarin: Excelsior Dark Elf what’s-his-name: Bullpen floor Hydra Conspiracy: Excelsior Ronan: Bullpen Floor Nebula: Excelsior Ultron: No-Prize Did I miss anyone?
I'm a recovering perfectionist who writes software development requirements. There is always some nuance or condition that I could spend time researching, interviewing users, holding meetings, and validating against industry practices. However: the fruits of such labor would serve no one if they are never complete.
ReplyDeleteI began to regard requirements as less science, and more art: you will never finish any given piece, you simply stop working on it. Then your work can get on with the business of being useful or entertaining to its audience. Because "Done" is better than "Perfect."
Yep, all I'm doing is moving words around. At this point I'm not changing any mechanics or anything. I should password protect the document by closing my eyes and slapping the keyboard.
ReplyDeleteAccording to Jared Sorensen & John Wick, "better" is the enemy of "done".
ReplyDeleteOops, Lex beat me to it.
ReplyDelete