Whoa, I was pretty busy yesterday and I totally spaced that it was #yojoeday .

Whoa, I was pretty busy yesterday and I totally spaced that it was #yojoeday . I apologize to the three people who read these!

Special Missions 23
This is a fun one because it’s another of Larry Hama’s “slice of army life” stories and because it features Stalker, my favorite Joe. Tunnel Rat, Leatherneck, Hit and Run and Musk Rat are sighting their rifles on the deck of the Joe aircraft carrier, instructed (and belittled) by Stalker. Wild Bill lands a new Joe, Scoop the cameraman, with the team’s orders. The team is not happy to have a newb along when they might see action and Stalker doesn’t want to let Scoop come. But Duke shows up and dresses Stalker down, which is kind of fun to see happen. Stalker is usually the ranking NCO around, but Duke is Top and what he says goes.

The team is to go to Sierra Gordo and extract a local warlord. The flight there consists of the Joes telling Scoop what is what and how things are done in the Joes as opposed to how he did them in training. This was the stuff I really loved as a kid. I needed to know it for when the commies invaded and we had to go Wolverines on some Russian ass. How do you sling a rifle? Where do you keep your gear? Etc etc. 

When the team gets to Sierra Gordo Stalker gives us a lesson in ambush planning and how to ensure plausible deniability by use Belgian clothespins and Swedish plastic forks while building traps. Scoop nods off during the interminable waiting and when he wakes up they’re in the middle of a huge firefight with the Iron Grenadiers, Destro’s mercenary army. Outnumbered, outgunned, and with their target nowhere to be found, the Joes retreat. Scoop gets some of the footage he wants, but then Tunnel Rat gets shot and Scoop has to help him. Then he’s tackled by an Iron Grenadier that he beats to death with his camera. Next thing he knows he’s on the helicopter and they’re flying away. Scoop laments that the mission failed and he lost all his footage. Stalker sets him straight on what a soldier should really be concerned about after a mission. Getting out alive.

Bad Guys: Iron Grenadiers.
Running Dog Insult: Nope.
Cool Toy(s): Traps made with foreign made implements.
Badass Non-Joe: Nope!

Rating 4 Yo Joes



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Random idea for high-lethality D&D campaigns: Character death unlocks new classes and races.