I thought I was looking at a TPK last night, twice. Once a pack of wolves caught sight of them. There's no way to outrun a pack of wolves on foot. They managed to turn it around though, barely.
Later on, they assaulted a mountain chalet where a gang of robbers was holed up, led by a powerful fighter/cleric. Twice I tried to get off the Hold Person spell (which would have probably caused a TPK), and twice they pulled their ass out of the fire at the last second by interrupting the spell. Then they proceeded to roll a bunch of 20s. Great luck for them.
I did manage to backstab one of their henchmen into oblivion, however.
Last session my players were just dumb. They'd cleared out this bandit hideout and knew the rest would probably be back soon. So they decided to wait and ambush them, solid plan. But they did this by just camping in a room with one person on watch...despite the fact the little fort had a lookout tower. they also left the front gate open. They didn't even try to set up a trip wire with cans or anything. So when the NAMED NPCs WITH LEVELS came back, they almost got their asses kicked. Lucky for them my 2+ attack throw assassin couldn't roll above a 5, and the mage only managed to hold one person, who got dragged to the back of the fray and didn't get auto-killed. And the one PC who went down rolled a 20 on his mortal wounds roll and was fine.
So next week, they want to just fight shit and not make a plan, they can fight a hydra and two dozen bullywugs. They'll love it.
Rating the Marvel villains so far on a scale from Excelsior (good), to No-Prize (could be explained that they’re either good or bad), to Bullpen Floor (bad): Iron Monger: Excelsior Abomination: No-Prize Loki: Excelsior Red Skull: Excelsior Whiplash: Bullpen Floor Justin Hammer: Excelsior Loki again: Excelsior Mandarin: Excelsior Dark Elf what’s-his-name: Bullpen floor Hydra Conspiracy: Excelsior Ronan: Bullpen Floor Nebula: Excelsior Ultron: No-Prize Did I miss anyone?
Random idea for high-lethality D&D campaigns: Character death unlocks new classes and races. Maybe useful in “special snowflake” campaigns where no one reads your carefully crafted setting material. Instead you roll it out piecemeal as PCs bite the dust. “I really want to play a saurian warlock…sure, I’ll take a drink of that mystery potion.” Someone probably thought of this before.
Oh damn... I feel sorry for the players in that game!
ReplyDeleteThere are a dozen more bullywugs hiding in the trees off-screen too.
ReplyDeleteBut the party has 9 members and 3 henchmen, so fuck them.
I thought I was looking at a TPK last night, twice. Once a pack of wolves caught sight of them. There's no way to outrun a pack of wolves on foot. They managed to turn it around though, barely.
ReplyDeleteLater on, they assaulted a mountain chalet where a gang of robbers was holed up, led by a powerful fighter/cleric. Twice I tried to get off the Hold Person spell (which would have probably caused a TPK), and twice they pulled their ass out of the fire at the last second by interrupting the spell. Then they proceeded to roll a bunch of 20s. Great luck for them.
I did manage to backstab one of their henchmen into oblivion, however.
Last session my players were just dumb. They'd cleared out this bandit hideout and knew the rest would probably be back soon. So they decided to wait and ambush them, solid plan. But they did this by just camping in a room with one person on watch...despite the fact the little fort had a lookout tower. they also left the front gate open. They didn't even try to set up a trip wire with cans or anything. So when the NAMED NPCs WITH LEVELS came back, they almost got their asses kicked. Lucky for them my 2+ attack throw assassin couldn't roll above a 5, and the mage only managed to hold one person, who got dragged to the back of the fray and didn't get auto-killed. And the one PC who went down rolled a 20 on his mortal wounds roll and was fine.
ReplyDeleteSo next week, they want to just fight shit and not make a plan, they can fight a hydra and two dozen bullywugs. They'll love it.