Your Beat 'em Ups! Give them to me! My daughter and I have played the hell out of X-Men on my PS3. I'm bored! She's not, she could blow up sentinels with Storm all day long. Are there other button-mashers out there that: -Have a playable female character (so Ninja Turtles are out) -Available on PS3 -Multiplayer I'm aware Dungeons & Dragons: Shadows of Mystara comes out in June. Can't wait. But until then, I need something new since I can't listen to "Nothing stops the Blob!" again.
It depends; How do you value $35?
ReplyDeletePersonally, I have found the PDF and paper copy tremendously useful. I used the barrow generator to make, on the fly, a short one shot adventure for DCC. There is a lot of dungeon, exploration, and potential for a long-running campaign surrounding the Barrowmaze.
Here is a session report.
takeonrules.com - They’re Coming to the Barrow
If you want to just look at adventure content, there's 35 bucks worth of adventure content in it, for sure. It's comparable in scope to the other notorious OSR big-dungeon projects (Dwimmermount, Stonehell, Maze of the Blue Medusa, etc).
ReplyDeleteI own the dead tree copy which they charged $80 (!) for. I was underwhelmed, especially considering it was just a non premium PoD hardcover. That being said, I think $35 for a PDF of any gaming product is too steep. $35 gets you both volumes in Stonehell in print, with a Lulu coupon.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't pay $80 for it. I have this in pdf (the labyrinth lord version) for $21, which I think is money well spent.
ReplyDeleteHaving read through both this and stonehell, I'd say that I'd rather put folks through stonehell though.
if your players pass the following thought exercise, barrowmaze is right for them.
DM: what do you want to do and what do you want to play?
player 1: fight undead. I want to play a cleric.
player 2: fight undead. I want to play a cleric too.
player 3: fight undead. I also would like to play a cleric.
player 4: fight undead and disarm traps. I would like to play a thief.
player 5: fight undead and cast spells. I would like to play a mage.
for thirty five bucks, you could buy dwimmermount, stonehell and something else that cost $16. I think the stonehell supplements are about $5 each and both worth it, so that leaves about $6 left.
ReplyDeleteI'd rather have two megadungeons and $6 than one megadungeon. Don't get me wrong: I like Barrowmaze, it's great, and it's well-written. But it's an undead slog.
player 6: I want to heal people exclusively, I'm thinking cleric
player 7: fighting undead sounds great, and I rolled my character up at home, so paladin
player 8: huge undead fan here. I'm thinking necromancer