Googlepocalypse post I don’t get Mastodon. How do you know what server(s) to join? You don’t self-select people to follow? Do you have to see inane shit from whoever else is on the server?
Mastodon has a three timelines: 1) The federated timeline, from anyone on any Mastodon instance. 2) The local timeline, from everyone on the server. 3) The personal timeline, with posts from people you follow. Thus, ideally you choose a server with a lot of like minded people, to have a lot of interesting stuff in the local timeline, and then follow people you find specifically interesting. For roleplaying, tabletop.social seems to be the No 1 address at the moment.
I don't trust Mastodon, because it's a distributed model of "a server in some dude's basement" and that's simply not enough assurance of safety for me to invest the time to learn more.
The Pluspora folks have the best intentions, but I don't think they're up to the task of securing and enhancing a platform as a volunteer admin/maintainer team (however well-intentioned).
There's not even good intentions behind Mastodon, so I noped out of even holding namespace on an instance.
Mastodon also has the benefit that you can post your messages for all to see (public), or unlisted (so people looking at the federated or local timelines won't see them), or only for your followers (so people looking at your profile won't see them, either), or direct (only the people mentioned will see it). This is specially relevant since you can set your account to require approval for followers. Thus, you can do that and only post to your followers. It's not perfect, but it's not bad, either.
Your Beat 'em Ups! Give them to me! My daughter and I have played the hell out of X-Men on my PS3. I'm bored! She's not, she could blow up sentinels with Storm all day long. Are there other button-mashers out there that: -Have a playable female character (so Ninja Turtles are out) -Available on PS3 -Multiplayer I'm aware Dungeons & Dragons: Shadows of Mystara comes out in June. Can't wait. But until then, I need something new since I can't listen to "Nothing stops the Blob!" again.
Rating the Marvel villains so far on a scale from Excelsior (good), to No-Prize (could be explained that they’re either good or bad), to Bullpen Floor (bad): Iron Monger: Excelsior Abomination: No-Prize Loki: Excelsior Red Skull: Excelsior Whiplash: Bullpen Floor Justin Hammer: Excelsior Loki again: Excelsior Mandarin: Excelsior Dark Elf what’s-his-name: Bullpen floor Hydra Conspiracy: Excelsior Ronan: Bullpen Floor Nebula: Excelsior Ultron: No-Prize Did I miss anyone?
Mastodon has a three timelines: 1) The federated timeline, from anyone on any Mastodon instance. 2) The local timeline, from everyone on the server. 3) The personal timeline, with posts from people you follow. Thus, ideally you choose a server with a lot of like minded people, to have a lot of interesting stuff in the local timeline, and then follow people you find specifically interesting. For roleplaying, tabletop.social seems to be the No 1 address at the moment.
ReplyDelete.
ReplyDeleteOnno Tasler that's very helpful. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI don't trust Mastodon, because it's a distributed model of "a server in some dude's basement" and that's simply not enough assurance of safety for me to invest the time to learn more.
ReplyDeleteThat's the reason I'm not that on board with pluspora either.
ReplyDeleteThe Pluspora folks have the best intentions, but I don't think they're up to the task of securing and enhancing a platform as a volunteer admin/maintainer team (however well-intentioned).
ReplyDeleteThere's not even good intentions behind Mastodon, so I noped out of even holding namespace on an instance.
You can think of Mastadon as the Linux of Twitter.
ReplyDeleteSo buggy and complicated?
ReplyDeleteAnd full of horrible people?
ReplyDeleteMastodon also has the benefit that you can post your messages for all to see (public), or unlisted (so people looking at the federated or local timelines won't see them), or only for your followers (so people looking at your profile won't see them, either), or direct (only the people mentioned will see it). This is specially relevant since you can set your account to require approval for followers. Thus, you can do that and only post to your followers. It's not perfect, but it's not bad, either.
ReplyDeleteThat's table stakes for a social platform, not a rich feature set, though.
ReplyDeleteLex Larson Absolutely.
ReplyDeleteThanks, peeps. I was looking at the page to create an account and genuinely confused, so this is all helpful.
ReplyDelete👂
ReplyDelete